Do I need to see a pain specialist, or do I need to expand my pain management team to other specialists?

It may be helpful for you to see a pain specialist. Pain specialists commonly do procedures like steroid injections and nerve blocks. They also prescribe medications for chronic pain. Some of them take a holistic approach like I do and teach people how to live a healthy lifestyle.

In many big hospital systems pain specialists are part of a multidisciplinary team that includes physical therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, and other disciplines. This team works together to help educate patients and teach them how to manage their chronic pain. Sometimes this is done in a group setting and sometimes it’s done one on one.

There are also many other complementary and alternative medicine providers who can be helpful for managing pain. Chiropractors, acupuncturists, yoga teachers, and energy healers are a few. I discuss the different types of complementary and alternative medicine in depth in the third lesson of the Energy Module in the New Healing Connection course.

If you aren’t sure about the cause of your pain, you may need to be evaluated by other medical specialists to rule out conditions that need to be treated. For example, if you have burning pain and numbness in your feet, you may have a painful peripheral neuropathy caused by diabetes. Treating the diabetes can help prevent progression of the pain condition. I recommend that you start by asking your primary care provider for an evaluation and referral if needed.

The problem with chronic pain is that there’s often a limited amount that can be done to manage it. That’s why it’s so important for you to pay attention to what you can do to heal yourself.